Thursday, October 23, 2014

New Adventures

I've always been the adventurous type. Well, maybe not the I-want-to-go-sky diving-bungie jumping-cliff diving-cheat-death type. Maybe more the curious I'm-always-looking-for-something-new-to-learn type. For the most part I am a self taught crafter. When I wanted to make my son his first quilt, I asked my mom to borrow her machine, bought some fabric, and jumped right in with no experience. I still share my story of not knowing what a presser foot was with new sewers who are having problems. It always gets a chuckle and let's them know we were all beginners once. When I wanted to knit a sweater, again I bought a little teach yourself to knit book, needles, and yarn and got to it. Pretty much the same with crochet when I wanted to make amigurumi. (my mom did show me the single, double and trebble crochet and I took it from there) I take a lot of satisfaction in acquiring a new skill. With all that said, I think I've found my next crafting adventure....garment construction!
     I knew what I wanted to be for Halloween this year, and I knew finding the costume was going to be pretty much impossible. My first thought wasn't, "Well, guess I'll be something else." it was, "Well, looks like I'll be learning how to sew this year." So I went out and found the perfect fabrics, some patterns and got started!
So far I've learned what it's like to work with faux leather, linen, using d-rings and eyelets, how to change a neckline, how to draft your own facing pattern, how to put in an invisible zipper, and that's just the beginning! My curious nature and creative soul are so happy to be learning new things I could just burst!!
This morning I started working on the dress with the actual intended fabric (I made a "first try" dress with muslin so I could practice) and although nervous, I am relatively confident that I CAN do this.
I still have some work to do, but hopefully I'll have a costume to show you really soon! Off I go! Hope you all have a wonderful day :)
Much love, 
The Tiny Tigress

No comments:

Post a Comment